Director's Commentary - The Ring 2 Review

Posted by Dan Tuesday, May 17, 2005
Being a short illumination on the difference between the horror and fantasy genres.


When Courtney first read this review, she was annoyed that I didn't take the time to explain the difference between fantasy and horror. Apparently the irony of the joke was lost on her, however... the more I thought about it, the more I thought maybe she had a bit of a point there. After all, the difference is often blurry at best.

So, let's take two movies as patent examples of my point, The Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness.

The Evil Dead 2 is your classic "horror" flick. The dead reawaken and start kicking everybody's ass, there are magic spellbooks form the pit of hell, the requisite girlfriend buys it early on. There's lots of suspense, lots of shocks, loads of creepy music, and not a mighty thewed barbarian to be had at all. Also no swordplay... very important for a fantasy film to have swordplay.

Army of Darkness, however, has tons of swordplay, a castle to protect, knights and heroes abound. Still no barbarians (and really no thews either, mighty or otherwise.) But it's definitely a fantasy film, to be put in the same category with The Princess Bride, Legend, or Jason and the Argonauts.

Okay, I admit it, the difference is a subtle one, but it is there.

0 comments

About Me

My Photo
Dan
Im an essayist, critic, online blogger, short story writer and to borrow a descriptor from Peter David, "Writer of stuff." I love all things pop culture related: Music, Movies, Comics, Books, Politics... if you can label it I probably have an opinion about it, and I love to argue. All informed opinions are welcome here.
View my complete profile
Blogumulus by Roy Tanck and Amanda FazaniInstalled by CahayaBiru.com

Label Category

Followers